Friday, January 22, 2010

Celiac disease












Today we discussed malabsorption, and one of its causes, celiac disease. A few key points:

Clinical features of malabsorption:
Chronic diarrhea (esp. steatorrhea)
Weight loss despite adequate intake
Deficiency of fat-soluble vitamins: (ADEK); vit D deficiency may lead to hypocalcemia, vit K deficiency may lead to high INR
Hypocalcemia
B12 and folate deficiency
Iron deficiency
Hypoalbuminemia

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease involving the small bowel, precipitated by intake of gluten. This autoimmune reaction leads to chronic small bowel inflammation.

Long term complications include small bowel adenocarcinoma and small bowel T-cell lymphoma

Celiac was traditionally thought of as a malabsorption syndrome of children, but it is increasingly recognized in adults, even the elderly. A common way patients come to clinical attention is iron deficiency anemia that does not respond to oral iron supplementation (because the etiology is malobsorption).
Diagnosis:
Gold standard for diagnosis is small bowel biopsy showing villous atrophy.

Serologic tests are also available that have different performance characteristics:
Endomesial IgA antibodies are near 100% specific (remember to check IgA levels, as many patients with celiac disease have low IgA levels)
Tissue transglutaminase antibodies have sensitivity of over 90%, and this is the screening test
Gliadin antibodes are less sensitive and specific (~80% Sn and Sp)

Therapy:
Gluten-free diet
Treat nutritional deficiencies
Celiac disease is associated with hyposplenism; patients should receive the pneumococcal vaccine
Bone loss is common; patients should have a DEXA scan and treatment as appropriate

Monitoring:
Symptoms should improve with gluten-free diet
Serology can be used to monitor response; antibody titers correspond to degree of inflammation.
Non-response should raise suspicion of small bowel lymphoma or non-adherence to gluten-free diet

Link:
Click here for a NEJM review on celiac disease

4 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed of Herpes 2 years ago and I have tried all possible means to get the cure but all to no avail, until I saw a post in a health forum about a Herbal Doctor(Dr Akhigbe) who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes, at first i doubted, if it was real but decided to give him a trial, when I contacted Dr Akhigbe through his Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com he guided me and prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier Delivery service,when I received the package (herbal medicine) He gave me instructions on how to consume it,I started using it as instructed and I stopped getting outbreaks and the sores started vanishing, could you believe I was cured of this deadly virus within two to three weeks and notices changes in my body. Days of using this REMEDY,couldn't believe the healing at first until I see it as my HERPES  get cleared like magic Dr Akhigbe also use his herbal medicine to cure diseases like, HIV, HERPES, CANCER, ALS, CHRONIC DISEASE, HEART DISEASE, LUPUS, ASTHMA,  DIABETES, MARBURG VIRUS,  HEPATITIS A AND B.ECZEMA, BACK PAIN, EXTERNAL INFECTION ,ASTHMA, MALARIA, DENGUE FEVER, BACTERIA DIARRHEA, RABIES, OBESITY, PROGERIA,  MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, EPILEPSY,STROKE, LYMPHEDEMA, GALLSTONE, PULMONARY HYPERTENSION, PENIS  EJACULATION, UTIVE, LCERA  HPV, COELIAC DISEASE, OSTEOPOROSIS, RHEUMATISM, THYROID, COLD & FLU,KIDNEY DISEASE,ACME. TOXOPLASMOSISM  ERYSIPELAS. etc Contact this great herbal Doctor today the father of herbal root cure. via Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatsapp him  +2349010754824   and get cured permanently He is real..website:      https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2010. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescription like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but brink back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am Abdul Hakim so joyful giving this testimony of genius herbalist,Dr Moses anabic herbal home whom cured me of liver cancer.i was diagnosed of liver cancer 2years back I tried to cope with the sickness but unfortunately it had gone so bad,I went to so many medical centres I was told to go for a special xray which was computed tomography scan.it's result came out that my liver was rottening and was told that there was no cure,I collapsed there at the centre after getting myself an individual who came for a test after being cured from hiv,then gave me an email address of dr Moses anabic so I contacted him and he assured me of a total cure after three weeks of administering his herbs and I was cured totally.nothing is impossible for God almighty any individual suffering from any illness or virus no matter how bad it may be,don't ever think it's impossible.contact him through his personal email address via MOSESANABIC@GMAIL.COM or write him on WhatsApp with +2348100661264.thank you very much doctor Moses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am here to express my profound warm gratitude to the herbal medicine, which I got from Dr. Imoloa. I am now living a healthy life since the past 6 months. I am now a genital herpes virus free after the herbal medication I got from him. You can contact him for your medication Via his email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com/ whatsapp +2347081986098/ website www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete