Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Myasthenia Gravis


Today in morning report we heard about a patient with dysarthria, dysphagia and ptosis. The diagnosis was Myasthenia Gravis.

Pathophysiology: 
- antibodies bind to the post-synaptic acetylcholine receptors
- this blocks acetylcholine binding, lead to crosslinking of receptors promoting internalization and degradation. 
- thus the number and availability of receptors are reduced
- thus end-plate potentials are insufficient to generate action potentials in a number of muscle fibers, causing weakness.

Presentation: 
- Up to 65% of patients initially have ocular symptoms of double vision and drooping of the eyelids.Less than 1/4 present with bulbar symptoms (dysarthria, dysphagia, altered voice). 
- Symptoms are typically better in the morning and after rest. 

Most Useful on history and physical:
- To rule in: “speech becoming unintelligible during prolonged speaking” (LR 4.5), peek sign (LR 30- illustrated in the third frame above), but their absence does not rule it out
- To confirm diagnosis or rule it out:  ice test (positive LR 24, negative LR 0.16), sleep test (positive LR 53, negative LR 0.01) or edrophonium (acetylcholinesterase inhibitor) test (positive LR 15, negative LR 0.11)

Confirming the diagnosis:
1. Acetylcholine receptor antibody test: most specific for MG. Sensitivity in generalized MG is 80%-96%,  but up to 50% of patients with purely ocular myasthenia are seronegative.

2. Single-fiber electromyography: highly sensitive for disorders of the neuromuscular junction but is not specific for myasthenia gravis.

Management:
- Rule out associated condition such as thymoma with CT chest and hyperthyrdoidism with TFTs. 
- Work up for other inflammatory conditions (ANA, RF)
- PFTs to assess for respiratory muscle weakness 

- Symptomatic treatment with pyridostigmine
- Indications for thymectomy: all patients with thymoma, some patients without thymoma (if generalised MG and under age 55 as 85% will have an improvement... however benefit takes years)
- Immunosuppression with glucocorticoids, azathioprine and others
- Avoid exacerbating drugs (including magnesium, beta-blockers, quinolones and macrolides)

Myasthenia Crisis:
- Myasthenic crisis is defined as an exacerbation of weakness sufficient to endanger life
- Close monitoring is key: Vital capacity (VC) and/or maximal inspiratory force (MIF) should be measured frequently, as often as every two hours. May need BiPAP or intubation if VC falling.
- Treat infectious triggers
- Immunomodulator: start prednisone or other immunosuppressive. With steroids, consider slow up-titration as high doses of steroids can exacerbate weakness.
-  IVIG 2g/kg over 5 days- improvement expected within a week
- Can also use Plasmapharesis but this is less well studied than IVIG
- Some advocate holding the anticholinesterase medication as "cholinergic crisis" can contribute to weakness

3 comments:

  1. I had myasthenia gravis since 2015. I got medically discharged out of the Army, a job I loved well. My heart had 5 myasthenic crises, 3 being severe enough to be ventilated or require CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) helmet. I have had countless plasma exchanges as my veins are bad. I also needed Hickman lines inserted. I have been on azathioprine, mycophenolate (CellCept), methotrexate and none have worked. I'm currently done with my herbal remedy I purchase from totalcureherbsfoundation .com which has totally cured my condition with a surprise after almost four months of their usage, I was discouraged and never thought I would be myasthenia gravis (MG) free ,to me the best to get rid of this condition is totalcureherbsfoundation com treatment because all medications I used never worked include mycophenolate (CellCept).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Myasthenia Gravis (MG) symptoms started at the age of 51, I have had countless plasma exchanges as my veins are bad. I also needed Hickman lines inserted. I have been on azathioprine, mycophenolate (CellCept), methotrexate and none have worked. I'm currently done with my herbal remedy I purchased from multivitamincure which has totally cured my condition with a surprise after almost four months of their usage, I was discouraged and never thought I would be myasthenia gravis (MG) free today,to me the best way to get rid of this condition is multivitamincure herbal recommendation because all medications I used never worked include mycophenolate (CellCept),contact the multivitamincare .org today Call Us (or SMS): +1 (956) 758-7882  to learn more about Myasthenia Gravis (MG) herbal remedies options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. contact the multivitamincare .org today Call Us (or SMS): +1 (956) 758-7882  to learn more about Myasthenia Gravis (MG) herbal remedies options.

    ReplyDelete