Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Alcohol withdrawal

Yesterday we discussed alcohol withdrawal.

Alcohol use can have effects on the body from head to toe. Complications of alcohol use can include:

-          Thiamine deficiency
o   Causing Wernicke encephalopathy characterized by the triad of encephalopathy, oculomotor dysfunction, and ataxia, or Korsakoff syndrome, the chronic consequence of Wernicke encephalopathy
-          Malnutrition and refeeding syndrome
-          Alcoholic ketoacidosis
-          Hypertension and cardiovascular disease
-          Cardiomyopathy
-          Liver disease including cirrhosis and hepatitis
-          Pancreatitis
-          Gastritis and esophagitis
-          Peripheral neuropathy
-          Bone marrow suppression
-          Injury/trauma
-          Malignancies, including GI, liver, and breast cancer
-          Psychiatric disorders

Another complication of alcohol use is alcohol withdrawal. There are several different phases of alcohol withdrawal. As such, the timing of symptoms compared to the last drink is helpful piece of information on history.

Manifestations of alcohol withdrawal:
-          Early alcohol withdrawal (onset 1-48 hours after last drink) can include symptoms such as insomnia, tremulousness, anxiety, GI upset, anorexia, headache, diaphoresis and palpitations.
-          Alcohol withdrawal seizures (onset 6-48 hours after last drink) are usually generalized, tonic-clonic seizures. Don’t forget basic principles such as accuchecks to ensure it is not a hypoglycemic seizures and reporting to the Ministry of Transportation for seizures. First line treatment of alcohol withdrawal seizures is benzodiazepines
-          Alcoholic hallucinosis (onset 12-48 hours after last drink) usually involves visual, auditory or tactile hallucinations. Importantly, orientation and vital signs are normal and that is what distinguishes alcoholic hallucinosis from delirium tremens.
-          Delirium tremens (onset 24-96 hours after last drink) is a serious manifestation of alcohol withdrawal characterized by delirium, agitation, tachycardia, hypertension, fever and diaphoresis. It is a medical emergency.

Principles of the management of alcohol withdrawal include:
1.       Rule out other causes of symptoms. Depending on the clinical presentation, for example confusion or change in level of consciousness, don’t forget to investigate for other causes of the presentation such as infection, co-ingestions, metabolic derangement, liver failure, GI bleeds, pancreatitis, and injuries (such as subdural hematoma) to name a few.
2.       Supportive care.
a.       Initial resuscitation including ABCs. Treat volume depletion.
b.      Treat any identified triggers or other causes of symptoms. There can be something else going on, such as pancreatitis or an infection, that led to reduced alcohol intake and then alcohol withdrawal.
c.       GIVE THIAMINE (before giving glucose) and a multivitamin  
d.      Nutritional support (may need to be NPO depending on level of consciousness to prevent aspiration) à consider other methods of nutritional support, get SLP and dietitian involved, and don’t forget to monitor for refeeding syndrome.
e.      Monitor severity of alcohol withdrawal with CIWA-Ar and clinical assessments.
                                                               i.      Items on the CIWA-Ar (Clinical Institute Withdrawal Assessment Scale for Alcohol, revised) include: nausea and vomiting, tremor, paroxysmal sweats, anxiety, agitation, tactile auditory and visual disturbances, headache, and orientation.  
f.        Treat alcohol withdrawal with benzodiazepines.
                                                               i.      Often diazepam or lorazepam are the benzodiazepines of choice and they are used in a symptom-triggered approach (administration and dose triggered by CIWA-Ar score)
                                                             ii.      Diazepam has a longer half-life so is usually the first choice to avoid recurrent withdrawal or seizures.
                                                            iii.      However, with cirrhosis or acute hepatitis, a benzodiazepine with a shorter halt-life such as lorazepam, may be preferred to avoid over-sedation.
                                                           iv.      Take a look and become familiar with the CIWA-Ar protocols at your institution.
                                                             v.      For refractory delirium tremens, barbiturates such as phenobarbital and/or propofol may be necessary.

References:
1.       Up-to-date “Management of moderate and severe alcohol withdrawal syndromes”. Hoffman et al. Last updated Jan 17, 2017.

2.       Schuckit M. Recognition and Management of Withdrawal Delirium. NEJM. 2014;371:2109-13. 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua cure Hiv,Herpes,Hepatitis,Diabetes,Copd,Fibroid,Als, And Cancer. He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease… Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative, because it compresses most of the information needed and the best solution to Paralysis still remains herbal medicines.
    I became more convinced in herbal medicines because of NZE NJOKU HERBAL HOME.
    I have also contacted Nze Njoku for herbal treatment for my grandfather who had suffered paralysis caused by stroke for eight years.
    My grandfather took herbal medicines from Nze Njoku Herbal Home as he's instructed without any lifestyle change which healed him of paralysis within nine weeks.
    As I write this my grandfather is doing great on his feet and most importantly he has started his business effectively as if nothing happened to him.
    Feel free to contact them on;
    nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete