Monday, June 1, 2009

Addressing DRESS


DRESS syndrome - Drug Reaction with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms, also known as drug hypersensitivity reactions.

These commonly present 2 weeks after initiating a new medication with:
  • Fever
  • Rash: papular, macular, bullous
  • Lymphadenopathy
  • Arthralgias
  • Hepatitis
  • Eosinophilia

Medications which are commonly associated with DRESS syndrome include "aromatic" anticonvulsants (phenytoin, carbamazepine, and phenobarbitol) - but can occur with other anticonvulsants as well. Other classic DRESS syndromes occur with NSAIDs, abacavir, and allopurinol. Treatment revolves around discontinuing the culprit agent, supportive care, and perhaps steroid therapy.

In the case of abacavir, hypersensitivity reactions are known to occur more frequently in those who are HLA B5701-positive, and screening programs are now widely used to prevent this adverse reaction.

2 comments:

  1. Here is a short and useful review article from J Emerg Med that U of T residents can read through the library:

    http://simplelink.library.utoronto.ca.myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/url.cfm/79672

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am Abdul Hakim so joyful giving this testimony of genius herbalist,Dr Moses anabic herbal home whom cured me of liver cancer.i was diagnosed of liver cancer 2years back I tried to cope with the sickness but unfortunately it had gone so bad,I went to so many medical centres I was told to go for a special xray which was computed tomography scan.it's result came out that my liver was rottening and was told that there was no cure,I collapsed there at the centre after getting myself an individual who came for a test after being cured from hiv,then gave me an email address of dr Moses anabic so I contacted him and he assured me of a total cure after three weeks of administering his herbs and I was cured totally.nothing is impossible for God almighty any individual suffering from any illness or virus no matter how bad it may be,don't ever think it's impossible.contact him through his personal email address via MOSESANABIC@GMAIL.COM or write him on WhatsApp with +2348100661264.thank you very much doctor Moses.

    ReplyDelete