Friday, May 29, 2009

Community-Acquired Pneumonia

(the Stanly Cup, pictured left)

Community-acquired pneumonia is extremely common. When patients present with this condition, we are often faced with a situation in the ER where we either admit pateints to hospital, or decide to treat in an out-patient setting. How do we decide? There are two major ways to do this.....
  • "Gestalt": take a careful history and physical exam, look at the bloodwork and chest x-ray, think about the patients' social situation and the time of day (or night), and put all the information into context and make a decision.
  • Clinical Prediction Rules: There are a few of these, however the Pneumonia Severity Index (derived from PORT score) and CURB65 score are most widely used.

Pneumonia Severity Index: Here is a link to the original article from NEJM. Points are given for various clinical/historical feaures and patients are categorized into one of 5 classes. Class I, II, have very low all-cause mortality rates at 30 days and can usually be treated as outpatients. Class IV, and V have higher rates of morbidity and 30-day all cause mortality - these patients should be admitted to hospital.

CURB65
: This is a much simpler scale requiring only 5 pieces of information. Here is a link to the original article in Thorax. Each feature is worth 1 point...then just add them up.
  • C: confusion- disorientation to person, place, time
  • U: urea >7 mmol/L
  • R: respiration rate >30 breaths per minute
  • B: Blood pressure- systolic <90 or diastolic <60 mmHg
  • 65: age >65 years
30-day mortality rates are 0.6% with a score of 0, and 1.7% with a score of 1. Scores of 4 have roughly 15% 30-day mortality rates - oy vey (come find me if you don't know what that means). Patients with scores of 0 or 1 can most likely be treated as outpatients. 3 points or more should be brought into hospital, and 4 or more points should likely be evaluated by the ICU.

Remember, these scales are helpful tools meant to assist you - they are not substitutions for good clinical judgment.

2 comments:

  1. I'm 61 years old, I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassedsome months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr Onokun herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr Onokun he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr Onokun make it possible for me. Here is Dr Onokun email to reach him: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am Abdul Hakim so joyful giving this testimony of genius herbalist,Dr Moses anabic herbal home whom cured me of liver cancer.i was diagnosed of liver cancer 2years back I tried to cope with the sickness but unfortunately it had gone so bad,I went to so many medical centres I was told to go for a special xray which was computed tomography scan.it's result came out that my liver was rottening and was told that there was no cure,I collapsed there at the centre after getting myself an individual who came for a test after being cured from hiv,then gave me an email address of dr Moses anabic so I contacted him and he assured me of a total cure after three weeks of administering his herbs and I was cured totally.nothing is impossible for God almighty any individual suffering from any illness or virus no matter how bad it may be,don't ever think it's impossible.contact him through his personal email address via MOSESANABIC@GMAIL.COM or write him on WhatsApp with +2348100661264.thank you very much doctor Moses.

    ReplyDelete