Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thyroid Cancers

(psammomma body in Papillary thyroid cancer)

There are many types of thyroid malignancies





  • Papillary carcinoma: Very common, spreads via lymphatics, more common in woman (3:1) aged 30-50, very high cure rate. Psammomma bodies are seen on histology.
  • Follicular carcinoma: The second most common thyroid cancer behind Papillary. This spreads hematogenously, so distant metastases are more common. It typically presents in the 40-60 year old age group with a cold thyroid nodule. It is difficult to distinguish between a follicular adenoma and carcinoma on cytology - so often a partial thyroidectomy is preferred over a fine needle aspiration for diagnosis.
  • Medullary carcinoma: This originates from C-cells (involved in calictonin production). This commonly affects families and is associated with the Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndromes. We discussed these here.
  • Anaplastic carcinoma: These are very undifferentiated tumors. Fortunately they are uncommon as the cure rate is low and life span is usually measured in months
A few other thyroid cancers to remember:
  • Lymphoma
  • Metastatic disease
Here is a good approach to the Thyroid Nodule.

3 comments:

  1. My favourit morning reading. Blog on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to a very dedicated chief med resident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 61 years old, I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassedsome months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr Onokun herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr Onokun he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr Onokun make it possible for me. Here is Dr Onokun email to reach him: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.  

    ReplyDelete