Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Parkinsonism















At physical exam rounds, we went over the examination for Parkinsonism. One approach:

Vital signs: Postural drop (autonomic dysfunction)

Face/head and neck:
-lack of facial expression "mask"
-lack of blinking
-drooling (autonomic dysfunction)
-brow for seborrhea (autonomic dysfunction)
-speech (soft, monotonous)
-cognitive dysfunction, depression

Extraocular movements for progressive supranuclear palsy (upward, then downward gaze palsy)- a "Parkinson's plus" syndrome

Special test: Glabellar tap- tell pt to look straight ahead, tap firmly on mid-forehead outside of the patient's visual field. Expect blinking with each tap x 5-10, then blinking should stop

Standing, gait:
-difficulty initiating movement (akinesis, bradykinesia)
-shuffling gait
-difficulty walking heel to toe
-freezing
-festination (small steps, seeming to "hurry")
-retropulsion (tendency to fall back)
-'en bloc' turning

Upper extremities
-resting tremor with arms relaxed (4-7 hz)
-tremor diminishes on finger to nose (vs. essential tremor, which increases with movement)
-wrist tone for cogwheeling; may look for activated rigidity (movement of opposite hand brings out cogwheeling)
-tests for bradykinesia: finger pinching (progressively smaller), rotation of hands, opposing thumb sequentially with each finger (may add while rotating other hand)
-micrographia

Lower extremities
-foot tapping: low amplitude, progressively smaller (bradykinesia)

Evidence: From JAMA- Does this Patient Have Parkinson Disease?

Most sensitive tests:
Glabellar tap- negative likelihood ratio of 0.13
Difficulty with heel-toe walking: NLR 0.3

Most specific tests:
Tremor, rigidity and bradykinesia: PLR 2.2
Difficulty with heel-toe walking: PLR 2.9
Glabellar tap: PLR 4.5

Findings making Parkinson's disease very unlikely:
Cerebellar signs
Pyramidal signs
Cranial nerve palsies

Link:
Click here for abstract of JAMA paper quoted above

4 comments:

  1. TRAP, do you still use that acronym?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am Abdul Hakim so joyful giving this testimony of genius herbalist,Dr Moses anabic herbal home whom cured me of liver cancer.i was diagnosed of liver cancer 2years back I tried to cope with the sickness but unfortunately it had gone so bad,I went to so many medical centres I was told to go for a special xray which was computed tomography scan.it's result came out that my liver was rottening and was told that there was no cure,I collapsed there at the centre after getting myself an individual who came for a test after being cured from hiv,then gave me an email address of dr Moses anabic so I contacted him and he assured me of a total cure after three weeks of administering his herbs and I was cured totally.nothing is impossible for God almighty any individual suffering from any illness or virus no matter how bad it may be,don't ever think it's impossible.contact him through his personal email address via MOSESANABIC@GMAIL.COM or write him on WhatsApp with +2348100661264.thank you very much doctor Moses.

      Delete
  3. Great Dr. imoloa herbal medicine is the perfect cure for the HIV virus, I was diagnosed of HIV for 8 years, and every day I always looking for research to find the perfect way to get rid of this terrible disease because I always know that what we need because our health is on earth . So, on my internet search I saw several testimonies about how Dr. imoloa can cure HIV with powerful herbal medicines. I decided to contact this man, I contacted him for herbal medicines that I received via DHL courier service. And he guided me how. I asked him for a solution to take herbal medicine for two weeks. And then he instructed me to go check what I was doing. Look at me (HIV NEGATIVE). Thank God for Dr. Imoloa for using a powerful herbal remedy to cure me. he also has a cure for diseases such as Parkison's disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy, anxiety disorders, autoimmune diseases, back pain, sprains, bipolar disorder, brain tumors, malignant, bruxism, bulimia, cervical disc disease, cardiovascular disease, cardiovascular disease, sprains, bipolar disorder, brain tumors, malignant, bruxism, bulimia, cervical disc disease, cardiovascular disease, cardiovascular disease, sprains, bipolar disorder, brain tumors, malignant, bruxism, bulimia, cervical disc disease, cardiovascular disease , chronic respiratory diseases, mental and behavioral disorders, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma, autoimmune mediated arthritis. Chronic kidney disease, arthritis, back pain, impotence, feta alcohol spectrum, Dysthymic Disorders, Eczema, skin cancer, tuberculosis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer, mouth sores, oral cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis ABC, syphilis, diarrhea, Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / or {whatssapp..+2347081986098} website- www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete